Tuesday, December 21, 2010

FSH and SA/SCSA Results

I am kicking myself for never recording the last of our tests with the RE, especially since I lost the hard copies during our move in October. I believe I remember correctly and found a few notes, so here's the best I can put together.

Results:

-Day 3 FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone): 8.75

That's mostly good news, as anything under 9 is considered 'normal' but it's worrisome because it's on the line, (9 - 11 is considered only "fair") and my estradiol was elevated slightly (I think it was 93). They prefer it to be under 80. This means that the estradiol could be falsely lowering my FSH.

The biggest problem was my husband's Sperm Analysis (SA).
-Count/Concentration: +50 million (good)
-Motility +60% motile (good)
-Morphology: Only 2% normal (devastating)

He also had "fair" DNA damage with the SCSA (Sperm Chromatin Structure Assay), which can be related to poor morphology. I believe it was 23% DFI. So, that's concerning though not as alarming as the morphology.

Regarding the SCSA:
Greater than 30% DFI (% sperm with damaged DNA) is viewed as a significant lack of fertility potential, 15-30% DFI as a reasonable potential and less than 15% DFI as high fertility potential.

And the new World Health Organization standards for SA's:

Concentration: the median was 73 million but anything over 15 million was considered normal
Motility: the median was 61%, anything over 40% being normal
Morphology: the median was 15%, anything over 3% was deemed normal

No comments:

Post a Comment