Monday, July 12, 2010

D & C Following Misoprostol

By way of update, the Misoprostol failed to evacuate all of the fetal tissue after my miscarriage. This was discovered at my 12 day post-treatment ultrasound when most of the placenta was found. It is my OBGYN and RE's opinion that Misoprostol works well for very early miscarriages or chemical pregnancies, but for later or "bigger" pregnancies (6 weeks and over), it is not as effective. I should have been close to 9 weeks along by the time we discovered the fetal heart beat had stopped. Sadly, I had to schedule yet another D & C to evacuate my uterus because leaving the left over tissue could lead to a serious internal infection. In fact, I was still losing portions of the placenta several days after the D & C.

Unfortunately, I have been having symptoms of Asherman's Syndrome (scarring of the uterus) since the D & C and am very concerned that this last D & C has done damage which can impair fertility. This is more common than people realize after a D & C because the uterus is so fragile during and immediately after pregnancy. Often the scarring is caused by the tissue tearing away from the lining of the uterus and nothing more. My symptoms have included extremely scant bleeding/periods (especially in comparison to my normally very heavy periods) and uterine pain. I will be getting a hysteroscopy to have this checked into.

No comments:

Post a Comment