Thursday, October 11, 2012

Close Call! Breakthrough Bleeding Before Lining Check

I failed my lining check on Monday (cue complete freak out noises). I have been a basket case.

My uterine lining needed to be close to 8mm for the big lining check and it was only 5.9mm. I knew there was big trouble when I started having break through bleeding on Saturday...it continued through Tuesday, easing up to spotting yesterday (Wed). My RE looked at the ultrasound during the check and announced, "You're not ready!"  I had to fight tears.

So what happened?  Basically, my RE explained that not every woman metabolizes estrogen supplementation the same and the Vivelle patches were not enough to keep my estrogen levels up and so I began having withdrawal bleeding.  I was a complete disaster on the flight out to CA...during my layover in Chicago I locked myself in a bathroom stall to sob for 20 minutes and looked red and puffy all day (prompting a flight attendant to ask if I was sick).  I was certain my cycle would be canceled with all the bleeding I experienced.  And I cannot express how hard it is to get THAT close to a transfer and then believe it's going to be taken away.

As soon as the bleeding started I began taking estradiol, 6mg orally (2mg morning, noon, and night) and 800mg of ibuprofren. Amazingly, this did the trick and rebuilt my lining just enough to pass my recheck today.  Less than 72 hours from my failed check, my lining was up to 7.87mm...putting me close enough to the 8mm's to move forward with the cycle! I am elated and even the nurses were cheering for me when I walked out of the ultrasound room.

The clinic coordinator called me later today to tell me that I am to stop Lupron on Sunday morning, begin Progesterone (PIO) that night, continue estradiol until Saturday, and continue the Vivelle patches indefinitely...my transfer is scheduled for October 19th and I just bought my tickets!

This coming week is my 40th birthday and sincerely, this is the best birthday gift I could ever imagine. I am so thankful for this amazing answer to prayer. I can't get these DEmbies into mah' belly soon enough! ;-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment